The Second International Workshop on Quality of Experience Management (QoE-Management)
Recent technological advances have enabled a constant proliferation of novel immersive and interactive services that pose ever-increasing demands to our communication ecosystem. Examples are: social TV, immersive environments, mobile gaming, Ultra High Definition (4K/8K), 3D virtual worlds, Augmented Reality, just to cite a few. These services and applications are typically managed through a set of Quality of Service parameters (e.g. packet loss, delay, jitter). However, it is widely agreed that the management of these services and applications should be centered on their quality, as this is perceived by the end user: the Quality of Experience (QoE). This QoE-centric management is greatly challenged in today’s Internet by (i) the stringent QoE requirements of the supported services and applications (e.g., timing constraints, loss intolerance) and users (e.g., unpredictability of user behavior, request for high quality services), (ii) the plethora of service consumption possibilities (e.g., for video: live vs. on-demand, managed vs. over-the-top), (iii) the inherent complexity of services and applications (combining video, audio, real-time text) which can be offered to users in several ways, to reach the same QoE level and (iv) the difficulty in assessing the quality as perceived by the end user also due to insufficient insight in the psychological and sociological factors of service and application consumption.
QoE-Management 2018 aims at providing an international forum for researchers addressing these challenges. The workshop will combine original full and short paper presentations with a motivating keynote to thoroughly explore this challenging topic.
The QoE Management Workshop will be part of the QoMEX 2018 program and will be devoted to topics related to the management of services and applications to improve the user-perceived quality through the incorporation QoE awareness in networking technologies, protocols, and algorithms. Proper QoE models and QoE monitoring mechanisms are fundamental for realizing QoE in networking, but also for the performance evaluation of such systems.
This workshop is an effort to make to create stronger synergies between the networking and QoE communities that can meet in a single venue.
Authors are invited to submit papers that fall into or are related to the topic areas listed below:
- QoE-aware network and application management: QoE management in heterogeneous networks, energy efficient QoE management, adaptive QoE management, self-organization techniques for the management of multimedia services
- Network architectures and protocols supporting QoE: QoE-aware architecture with an emphasis on virtualization technologies, realization of QoE management with SDN, cooperative approaches towards QoE management, new paradigms supporting QoE e.g. 5G Networks, ICN, telco clouds, new transport and application protocols, e.g. HTTP/2, webRTC
- Application of QoE management to different business sectors and use cases: smart city, transport and automotive, energy-efficient communication, healthcare and AAL, intelligent manufacturing, Industry 4.0, immersive Media (3D, AR and VR), real-time, Web- and Cloud applications, business aspects of QoE management
- Experimental approaches for QoE management: experiments in commercial settings and controlled lab environments, experimental facilities for evaluation of algorithms and services in the context of QoE management, QoE monitoring and measurement, Big Data and analytics-driven QoE monitoring approaches, effects of Internet performance on QoE, QoE monitoring approaches in the wild
Selected papers will be invited to submit an extended version to the Special Issue on QoE-centric Analysis and Management of Communications Networks of the International Journal of Network Management (IJNM). More information can be found on webpage of the special issue: http://ijnm-qoe.com
Prospective authors are invited to submit full or short papers (maximum of 6 or 3 pages, respectively) to the workshop. Submitted papers will undergo a double-blind review process. All papers will be included in the Conference Proceedings.
Paper submissions must present original, research or experiences. Late-breaking advances and work-in-progress reports from ongoing research are also encouraged. Only original papers that have not been published or submitted for publication elsewhere can be submitted. The workshop will feature two kinds of tracks:
- Main track: full and short papers.
- Special session on bold, provocative ideas and late breaking results: short papers only.
Each submission must be written in English, accompanied by a 75 to 200 word abstract and a list of up to 5 keywords. There is a length limitation of 6 pages for full papers and 3 pages for short papers (including title, abstract, figures, tables, and references). Submissions must be in IEEE 2-column style. Papers exceeding these limits, multiple submissions, and self-plagiarized papers will be rejected without further review.
To submit a paper go to the Submission page where you can also find the templates for both Latex and Word.
At least one author of accepted papers must be present at the workshop, to present the paper.
Technical Program Committee
|Prasad||Calyam||University of Missouri-Columbia||USA|
|Pedro||Casas||Austrian Institute of Technology (AIT)||Austria|
|Diego||da Hora||Telecom Paristech||France|
|Tasos||Dagiuklas||London South Bank University||United Kingdom (Great Britain)|
|Filip||De Turck||Ghent University – imec||Belgium|
|Ognjen||Dobrijevic||University of Zagreb, Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing||Croatia|
|Steven||Latré||University of Antwerp – imec||Belgium|
|Antonio||Liotta||Eindhoven University of Technology||The Netherlands|
|Ilias||Politis||Hellenic Open University||Greece|
|Jonathan||Rodriguez||Instituto de Telecomunicações||Portugal|
|Petros||Spachos||University of Guelph||Canada|
|Florian||Wamser||University of Wuerzburg||Germany|
|Tim||Wauters||University of Gent||Belgium|
|Amy||Csizmar Dalal||Carleton College||USA|
|Sebastian||Egger||FTW- Telecommunications Research Center||Austria|
|Bruno||Gardlo||Austrian Institute of Technology||Austria|
|Oliver||Hohfeld||RWTH Aachen University||Germany|
|Tobias||Hossfeld||University of Duisburg-Essen||Germany|
|Peter||Pocta||University of Zilina||Slovakia|
|Alexander||Raake||Technische Universitat Ilmenau||Germany|
|Glenn||Van Wallendael||Ghent University||Belgium|